Here’s the write-up:
And this is the podcast itself –
This comes about the article on Disney I wrote back in May that got quite a reaction. The article has some thoughts and insights on the future of Disney and ESPN. Disney is a leader in content and that it has to figure out distribution in the modern internet era. It was a short article that I wrote fairly quickly. The podcast gave me an opportunity to expand on my analysis of Disney. There’s also some discussion on value investing and other stocks.
I hope you enjoy the podcast!
Brian Langis interview – 2:00 minute mark to 49:00 minute mark
- 2:00 – Reviewing Brian’s thesis and a new hope for Disney
- 7:45 – What are you watching for in the transition to streaming? When does the tipping point come?
- 16:00 – How big a deal is Fox (FOX) (FOXA), how much to worry about $20B extra? The running cost of content and the offense/defense game.
- 20:00 – Looking at Netflix (NFLX) across the aisle from Disney
- 24:45 – Getting to the numbers for Disney. What is the story there?
- 28:30 – How do we avoid getting attached to Disney shares when we enjoy Disney products?
- 35:30 – Talking value investing in an expensive market, and a cheesy answer. Getting to Alimentation Couche Tard (OTCPK:ANCUF) and Dollarama (OTC:DLMAF) as examples.
- 41:00 – What has changed in the past five years for your investing?
- 45:30 – The Iger risk for Disney.
Derek Thompson Interview – 50:00 minute mark to 1:30 minute mark.
- 50:00 – Setting the scene on Disney, one of the most interesting companies in the world
- 54:30 – Why does Disney have a good chance of pulling off the transition to streaming?
- 56:30 – Why relinquish ESPN to decline? What barriers are there?
- 1:01:30 – What do the economics look like once Disney makes it to streaming land?
- 1:08 – Are we at the tipping point where video is too easy to make, thus drowning out Disney’s advantage?
- 1:16 – How important is Fox?
- 1:19 – Vertical integration – is this business different? Why not work together with Netflix?
- 1:27 – Let’s get into the fintwit discussion